TETRA Infrastructure for small networks
Riga Fertilizer Terminal
TETRA system for mineral fertilizer transhipment and short-term storage in the Port of Riga
Riga Fertilizer Terminal LLC (RFT) is a joint venture founded by Riga Commercial Port LLC (RTO) and Uralchem Freight Limited, a daughter enterprise of OJSC Uralchem. Northern Europe’s most advanced and safest terminal for mineral fertilizer transhipment and short-term storage was launched at the end of 2013. The total investment exceeds 60 million Euros, the majority of which is directed towards environment-friendly, internationally recognized and advanced transhipment and storage technologies. In the first phase of the terminal development, the annual capacity is 2 million tons.
Radio communications solution for this new terminal needed to meet the following essential demands.
- Proven digital technology, system-centric approach.
- Communications within specific groups of users according to their job responsibilities (dockers, guards, servicing etc.).
- Variety of communication modes – group calls, individual calls, data transmission.
- Reliable communications between staff at the territory as well as in underground galleries.
- Situational awareness and management of voice communications by centralized dispatchers.
- Expandability, accommodation of new applications and routines, long life of the proposed solution.
Motorola Dimetra IP Micro TETRA system is a core of implemented radio communications solution. Along with portable MTP850S, mobile MTM5400 radios and MCC7500 dispatch position it provides operational communications through the entire storage area. Motorola DM and DP series radios provide interoperability of communications with railway and ships personnel over VHF band and specific marine channels.
This communications solution can be further expanded with a centralized voice logging server, telephony interconnect, additional radio users, as well as with new applications using data transmission over Short Data or Packet Data.
SIA ‘DAN Communications” provided turn-key project including high-level and low level system design, installation and commissioning, programming of radios, acceptance testing as well as warranty support services based on requested SLA parameters.
Extensive pilot project
Extensive pilot project was conducted in order to thoroughly test functionality and performance of a new digital radio communications system prior to approval of system’s rollout.